- Can I play the Speak audio through my vehicle’s stereo?
Yes, you can connect to your car stereo using Bluetooth® or AUX to play the audio through your car. For vehicles that do not have Bluetooth or an AUX input, sound will be delivered through the Garmin Speak device.
- What does Garmin Speak do that you cannot get with an Echo device that I use at home?
The Garmin Speak device does not rely on a Wi-Fi® hotspot, but instead just uses your existing smartphone’s data plan with cellular signal. Garmin Speak is very small and was purposefully designed for when you are on the go. It brings what you love about Amazon Alexa to your vehicle. Alexa responses — including music and audiobooks — can stream right through your vehicle’s stereo. What’s more, when you enable the exclusive Garmin skill on your Garmin Speak device, you get access to handy GPS turn-by-turn directions from Garmin.
- Can I use the Garmin Speak device and still connect my phone to my car with Bluetooth?
Yes, if you already connect your phone to your car using Bluetooth, Garmin Speak does not interfere. Garmin Speak plays music and Alexa responses with its companion application, using your phone’s existing Bluetooth connection to your car. This approach allows it to integrate seamlessly with other phone apps, and allows you to keep using your vehicle hands-free system for phone calls. For example, you can use the Spotify® phone app to play music, Garmin Speak for Alexa and navigation, and the audio will be mixed together on your vehicle sound system.
- Does this use my phone's data plan?
Yes, Garmin uses your existing phone's data connection with cellular signal to stream Alexa responses, music, audiobooks and more. Data usage by the Amazon Alexa app will vary depending on the skills enabled and used, such as flash briefings, music player and games.
- How do I start a route with Garmin?
With Garmin Speak, you get exclusive access to the Garmin skill that allows you to search for nearby places and turn-by-turn directions. Trigger the Garmin skill by saying, “Alexa, ask Garmin…”
- How does the traffic work?
After starting a route with the Garmin skill, you will get live traffic updates along your route.
- How does the device connect to my phone?
Garmin Speak connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth. It uses the Garmin Speak app to connect to Amazon Alexa and the Garmin Skill.
- Do I have to keep the app open the entire time?
Yes, the app must be open, but it can be in the background with your phone's display off while you are driving.
- What if I have questions about Amazon Alexa?
- Questions about Alexa on Other Alexa-Enabled Products
- Inquiries regarding Alexa Device Support
- Questions about the Amazon Alexa App:Amazon Alexa App
- When is the Garmin Speak device listening?
While the Garmin Speak device is turned on and the microphones are not muted, the device continuously listens for you to say “Alexa” to start a request. The device itself does not record or store any audio data. After you say “Alexa”, the audio data of your request is sent to the Alexa system for processing. You can view a record of your processed requests in the Amazon Alexa app. If you want to prevent the device from hearing any audio, you can mute the microphones.
- How do I update my device?
Good news! Software updates are automatically sent to your device on a regular basis, so Garmin Speak is always up-to-date and you never need to worry or wait for any software or mapping updates.
- What if I have more questions about Garmin Speak?
Watch some of our tutorial videos posted in the Garmin.com learning center or visit our support page for additional information.